Ads 468x60px

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday 12 November 2011

Book Review: The Day Before

The Day BeforeThe Day Before - Lisa Schroeder
Release Date: June 28, 2011
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 307
Buy the Book: Amazon


Amber’s life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he’s also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.
The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she’s drawn to him. And the more she’s troubled by his darkness. Because Cade’s not just living in the now—he’s living each moment like it’s his last.
Summary taken from Goodreads. 
My Review: (Spoiler Alert!

Amber was switched at birth. Accidentally given to the wrong parents while the other girl, Charlotte was given to her biological parents. But now, years later her parents have found her and they want to know her. They want to be a part of her life.

No one asks what Amber wants. Her family can't afford to fight the court case and her biological parents are nothing if not persistent.

What Amber wants is freedom, absolute freedom to live her life the way she wants. To live it with whom she wants. But she is a full two years away from gaining that freedom. So on the day before her whole life changes she decides to spend a day being happy and free on the beach. There she meets a boy named Cade, who has his very own demons and together they decide to spend a day. Having fun and forget all their problems.

I have read all three of Lisa Schroeder's previous novels and loved them. This one was no exception. Her writing is beautiful and realistic. With every verse she tugs at your heart stings. I Heart You, You Haunt Me, was the very first book I read by Lisa and the first verse novel I ever read. Since then I have come to like Lisa's books and writing even more!

It surprises me how much depth she puts in her characters in so little words. But I truly felt for Amber and her dilemma. I found myself trying to put myself in her shoes and thinking about what I would do in her situation. Would I stay or would I run?

Cade was another one of those male characters. He was sweet yet haunted by his own secrets. Through the 24 hours that they share you come to know both of the characters. Their likes, their dislikes. Their hopes, dreams and secrets.

Overall, it was a magnificent and brilliantly written book with an amazing story, and characters. In The Day Before, Lisa Shroeder weaves a very real story about a girl, a boy and their families. She puts them in situations that you can't help but relate to. This is what I love about this book. I recommend this book to all fans of a good and quick realistic contemporary read!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a spoiler there :P But I'm SO glad you loved this book! It's one of my absolute favorite reads this year and seeing other people who love it too always makes my heart happy. :) It was my first Lisa book and I've since gone back and read ALL the rest! She is genius!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! She is one of my favourite authors :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone! Thank you soo much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and treasure all of your comments ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...